Saturday, July 7, 2007

Art Imitates Life


Rocket City Day Lily from our garden.


my applique block

I made this block in a 1999 workshop with Anita Shackelford on designing appliqué patterns from folded paper. It was a good class, with lots of beautiful examples of Anita's work and detailed demonstrations of her design technique, folding and cutting a piece of paper snowflake-style. 

But I found that tact is not Ms. Shackelford's forte, when she called me out in front of everyone for my choice of fabrics. "You're not really going to put that red on that orange background, are you?" she asked, loud enough for the entire class to hear. 

Personally, I think my block is spectacular and when I saw this lily from our garden, it confirmed to me that you can't go wrong by taking color inspiration from nature. Pattern from Applique with Folded Cutwork by Anita Shackelford. Color combination courtesy of Mother Nature herself.


Tremendous thanks to Kathy Smith who finished the appliqué for me when my hands stopped working half way through the project!

2 comments:

  1. I love this color combination - great block. Harumph to "correct" color combinations. I love orange and red together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always admired Anita Shackelford's work but I cringed when I read that comment she made.
    In fact, when your block popped up on the screen, I caught my breath...LOVE the color combo!!

    ReplyDelete