Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Hurrah for Red, White and Blue!



Collecting fabrics is hands-down my favorite part of quilt making. After working in a quilt shop for a few years, I've amassed an enviable stash of colors and prints, mostly reproductions of nineteenth century classics, or what many people call "Civil War Repros." I'm not a purist, but my taste runs decidedly traditional.

I've been making blocks for a patriotic sampler quilt. There’s no pattern, just random blocks I like. As long as they're made from vintage style red, white and blue fabrics, they all look great together. 


It’s best to have all your blocks completed before arranging them into a final design, but I can never wait. When I get a few blocks that fit nicely, I can't resist sewing them together. 

It' a work in progress. There are always more blocks I'd like to add: an American flag,   eagle, string pieced star...


Hurrah for Red, White and Blue!

3 comments:

  1. Happy 4th of July to you, too!
    I see a lot of fun quilts in there *s*

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've also had that feeling lately, that I have been spending more time 'collecting' than actually 'creating'.
    Happy 4th of July!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy 4th of July. I started my blog tonight. thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete