Tuesday, May 20, 2008

ABC's of Me



I don’t usually do these meme things, but found this one intriguing. It's a cute way to learn a little something about someone. I love all things alphabetical: ABC books, cross stitch samplers, dictionaries, calligraphy and fonts, letterpress printing, library card catalogs, monograms, old typewriter keys, Scrabble... My husband doesn't share my predilection, and has mentioned, on more than one occasion, that he doesn't want to see alphabets all over our house. I try to be subtle. Here are some of my favorites.


Accent: Midwestern with a hint of Chicago nasality.
Breakfast or no breakfast: I eat the same thing every morning ~ yogurt with oats stirred in. I’m not particularly health conscious, just lazy.
Chore I don’t care for: DUSTING!
Dog or Cat: I grew up with both but have neither as an adult.
Essential Electronics: My computer!
Favorite Cologne: Clinique “Happy” ~ It smells clean and citrusy.
Gold or Silver: Gold. I'm allergic to other metals.


Handbag I carry most often: A small brown leather “Fossil” ~ a glorified wallet, really. I stick with one bag till it wears out.
Insomnia: All too frequently!
Job Title: Stay at Home Mom, in its most literal sense.
Kids: Two wonderful sons, ages 20 and 17.
Living Arrangements: My family lives in a far western suburb of Chicago ~ an old river town but with new amenities.
Most Admirable Trait: Endurance
Naughtiest Childhood Behavior: Tattling on my brother (he was the naughty one).


Overnight hospital stays: Two for childbirth and two for MS testing and treatment, including the entire month of December, 2007!
Phobias: Creepy crawlies of any kind. The more legs they have, the more frightened I am.
Quote: “I wasted time, and now doth time waste me.” Shakespeare’s Richard II. It stuck with me when I read the play in high school and I now see how very true it is.
Reason to smile: My children.
Siblings: I grew up with three brothers. The oldest died in 1994 and I miss him very much. Another is estranged from the family and I miss him very much. The youngest lives in Ohio and I miss him very much.


Time I wake up: 5:30 A.M., but not by choice. I need help getting up and that’s when my husband leaves for work.
Unusual Talent or Skill: Nitpicking.
Vegetable I Refuse to Eat: Black Eyed Peas.
Worst Habit: Procrastination.
X-rays: Do MRIs of my brain count?
Yummy Stuff: CHOCOLATE!
Zoo Animal I Like Most: Elephants ~ They’re slow and plodding, like me but also intelligent, sensitive, and excellent mothers.



6 comments:

  1. That's a lovely post - I really enjoyed it and think I will have to write an ABC of me! Your alphabet goodies are beautiful - my favourite is the tankard. I too love the alphabet - my latest favourite is a French Cross stitch book of antique alphabets - I want to make us all monogramed pillowcases!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you managed to get some ABCs in your house! I love that pic of the pottery on the quilt - gorgeous. once saw an appliqued quilt inspired by that pic at the top - it was marvelous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a neat, creative post! I don't think I have a single alphabet in my house. Huh.

    And its so nice to see you post, too!

    Have a wonderful day. Love, *karendianne.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a fan of the alphabet or just about anything lettered, too *s* Thanks for sharing - it is such fun to find out little things. Perhaps I'll join in the fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Did I ever tell you that you ROCK??!! I loved reading your answers mixed in with your pictures. I had to saw ditto to myself for a LOT of the answers, The more legs the scarier...yes!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love all your alphabet stuff! Some of those body postures don't look so comfortable! It was really funny this weekend... I was in Delaware visiting my mom and sister (but we all are orig from here - Chicago) and I met some of my sister's friends and they said - your from chicago aren't you, I can tell by your accent!

    ReplyDelete