Monday, April 6, 2015

Happy Easter!




Easter blessings, Passover greetings, Happy Spring!

About this time each year, I remember an Easter  project I’ve always wanted to try. The trouble is, I think of it at the last minute when it actually takes several weeks of advance preparation.

What I had in mind was an Easter basket filled with live grass and a display of bunnies and chicks, colored eggs and candies, all nestled amidst the fresh green sprouts…


a springtime vignette, like you’d find inside those panoramic sugar eggs we had as kids. Cute, huh?

Convincing my husband to help with crafty projects like this is the tricky part. His willingness to humor my flights of fancy goes only so far, and generally does not include arranging porcelain figures into whimsical tableaux. Fortunately, an Internet search for “Living Easter Basket” helped validate my request. "See? It's not a silly idea. Come on, it'll be fun!" 

So, three weeks before Easter, Jim planted grass seed in an old basket. Within a week, the tender shoots began to sprout. By Easter, the grass had filled the basket entirely and was practically ready for a trim. Perfect timing! 


I’ve paired my Easter basket with a basket quilt, made from blocks I won at a guild raffle, way back in 1987. You may recognize the pattern from Fons and Porter’s book, Classic Basket Patterns, 1984 (out of print).


In any quilt block exchange, there are a few blocks that end up too big or too small. Rather than discard them, I used them to make a pillow…


and label for the back of the quilt.

Raffle Baskets
36" x 51"
machine quilted by Stover Quality Quilting
1987

2 comments:

  1. The stars had to align for this project! Maybe now that he's an expert crafter, Jim can help us with ours next year! Of course, we'll want one for every room. -- Linda

    ReplyDelete