Friday, March 16, 2018

Midwinter Blues

Hello everyone! I had a birthday recently and with it came this marvelous quilt from Barb Vedder. You may recognize it as Midwinter Blues, a pattern designed by Lori DeJarnatt for her 2014 Humble Quilts sew-along. Double-click photos for more detail.



Aren't Barb's fabrics exquisite? I've never seen such deep, saturated blues or bold cheddar prints. While those patchwork points and angles could make for a "lively" quilt, especially when high contrast fabrics like these are used, Barb managed to tame the visual energy with a couple clever tricks.



First, she chose a quilting design with gentle, flowing curves to draw the focus away from the angular patchwork itself.



Second, by swapping her standard cotton thread with fine silk thread in a neutral color, Barb reduced the impact of the machine quilting itself. Look closely and you'll see how the stitches practically melt into the background leaving just a hint of texture behind. 



On the back is a patriotic print with the phrase "E pluribus unum" or "Out of many, one," or as I prefer to interpret it, "Out of many pieces came one fantastic quilt!"


Barb originally made it for our dear friend, Mary Borst. After Mary passed away, Barb thought I might enjoy having it since Mary and I had been college classmates and good quilt friends as well. Thanks, Barb. You bet I will! XO

 


Instructions for the Midwinter Blues quilt are still available on Lori's Humble Quilts blog: 

Part 1,  Part 2,  Part 3,  Finale.



1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you like this quilt. It just said "diane" when it came back to me from Mary's. I hope spring will bring with it more energy and sunshine for you Diane!
    What a nice post.
    xo

    ReplyDelete