Saturday, June 3, 2017

Hey, Macarena!


It’s been a while since I posted a bona fide, start to finish, sewn with my own two hands kind of quilt. I had to go back 20 years to find one, but this Kaleidoscope pretty much fits the bill.


Are you surprised to see a pastel color scheme from me? Generally, I don’t use soft colors. Here’s how I managed to collect such a wide array.

My Piecemaker friends swapped fabrics to make these Kaleidoscope quilts. Each of us contributed 120 strips from our own stash of pastels to exchange with the group.


On the day of the swap, tables were piled high with over 2,000 strips. It felt like a game of musical chairs as we paraded around the room, snatching up fabrics to the festive rhythm of “Macarena.” Our laughter increased with each go-round, until we were giddy with revelry and new fabric. "Heyyy, Macarena!"

For my quilt, I chose colors and prints reminiscent of the 1930s. After sorting and sewing strips together, I cut the eight segments required for each block with this 45 Degree Kaleidoscope Wedge Ruler.  (It includes directions for block and quilt construction.)



It was fun coordinating colors within each block, seeing how many concentric circles I could create through thoughtful fabric placement... 






but, it turns out, I like the scrappiness of blocks made from random wedges just as well.








By using muslin for both background and sashing, each unique block has room to shine. Any leftover strips found their way into the scrappy border.



Machine quilting by Stover Quality Quilting.


3 comments:

  1. SO pretty - what a fun exchange that would have been.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember that day well - I wonder what happened to my spider web quilt....can't remember if I finished it or what. I love how yours turned out Diane.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So pretty. I like the leftovers in the border. I bet this whole thing was fun to put together. Great share!!! I never did have a chance to do a Kaleidoscope quilt while my hands were able. So many patterns and never enough time. Well, it is enough time. That's what we're given so its enough. :)

    ReplyDelete