Thursday, May 24, 2007

Waste Not, Want Not


Wow, I sent my first blog post into cyberspace and someone answered back! Dawn at Quilts and Pieces asked for more details about the Amish style four-patch I posted there.



It's a modest little scrap quilt (11 1/2" x 14") that packs a big punch, thanks to Milly Churbuck's Country House Cottons! Her hand-dyed fabrics are known for their depth of color and soft, sueded finish. The four-patch blocks measure 1 3/4" because I was literally working from scraps.



I used to buy "swatch packs"  She used to sell patterns, kits, bundles and yardage at quilt shows. I especially liked herwhich 

In fact, I made the four-patches (above) with scraps left over from another project (below). Waste not, want not!



Not all my quilts are hand quilted, but I do love it on the smaller ones. The Baptist fan design is a favorite, and I used brown thread in keeping with the Amish theme.


Hope this answers your questions, Dawn. I welcome any input that helps improve my blogging skills!

5 comments:

  1. Oh I love it! Thank you for showing the whole thing! Fans are my favorite too! I"m finishing up hand quilting a strippy string coin quilt right now with fans. So hopefully in the next month or so I'll have more pics of it!

    Inspiration - EVERYWHERE! Especially blogs and the internet. Well and books of course!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad I found your blog! Love your style!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The whole quilt is just as wonderful as the peek in the previous post suggested. I really must do something with fans - they make just the right statement.

    Inspiration - I never really know where it might come from, but since I began blogging, a lot comes from my fellow bloggers. I also have several quilt documentation books to look through again and again and again . . .

    ReplyDelete
  4. I couldn't live without Country House Cottons and Cherrywood. Maybe I should dig those tiny pieces out of the trash? Beautiful little quilt and nice idea!

    ReplyDelete