Thursday, May 24, 2007

Somebody's Out There!



Wow, this blogging thing really works! I sent a bit of myself into cyberspace and someone answered back. Dawn at Quilts and Pieces asked me for more detail about the quilt pictured in my first post. 

These little Four Patches were 
made with scraps left over from another project. When I saw the colorful snippets in my trash can, I couldn’t bear to throw them out. They're Milly Churbuck’s hand dyed fabrics from Country House Cottons.


The Four Patch blocks measure 1½“ and the quilt itself is 12“ x 14½“. It is hand quilted in brown thread with my favorite fan design.



CLICK to enlarge


And here's the back.

I love traditional antique quilts, especially doll quilts. Here are some favorite resources for inspiration: 

A Child’s Comfort: Baby and Doll Quilts in American Folk Art by Bruce Johnson, 1977.


Crib Quilts and Other Small Wonders by Woodard & Greenstein, 1988.


Small Endearments: 19th Century Quilts for Children and Dolls by Sandi Fox, 1985, 1994.


5 comments:

  1. Oh I love it! Thank you for showing the whole thing! Fans are my favorite too! I"m finishing up hand quilting a strippy string coin quilt right now with fans. So hopefully in the next month or so I'll have more pics of it!

    Inspiration - EVERYWHERE! Especially blogs and the internet. Well and books of course!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad I found your blog! Love your style!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The whole quilt is just as wonderful as the peek in the previous post suggested. I really must do something with fans - they make just the right statement.

    Inspiration - I never really know where it might come from, but since I began blogging, a lot comes from my fellow bloggers. I also have several quilt documentation books to look through again and again and again . . .

    ReplyDelete
  4. I couldn't live without Country House Cottons and Cherrywood. Maybe I should dig those tiny pieces out of the trash? Beautiful little quilt and nice idea!

    ReplyDelete