Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Spring Has Sprung ~ Sort Of

"Possibly God knows that if spring came all at once, we should die of it."

Gladys Taber
Stillmeadow Sampler


Yesterday was my first outing in four months. The day was cold and damp, so I dressed in a turtleneck sweater plus a jacket to keep out the chill. As we made the awkward transfer from wheelchair to car, I wished I had grabbed a pair of gloves as well. It's funny, our weather seems to have changed little since the day I came home from the hospital in December.

We've had some shorts and tee shirts weather, but it's been interspersed with overnight frosts, blustery winds and plenty of rain. Guess that's the nature of spring ~ fickle.

Our trees, bushes and grass are just starting to green up. I love spring's first green! It's such an in your face color. It's bold and loud and tart and assertive. It will not be ignored! But it lasts such a short time. I'm glad I chose this week to venture out.

This is the springiest quilt I have in my collection. In spite of its pastel colors, it seems loud and tart and assertive too. Quilts made using Gwen Marston's Liberated Quiltmaking techniques all end up with a bit of attitude.

The fabrics in this quilt are scraps of 1940's prints that my friend, Betty, gave me. I was able to eke out a few Shoo Fly blocks but near the end, I found myself rummaging through the trash for enough scraps to make a sawtooth border, or as Gwen would describe it, minimal sawtooth.



Shoo Fly
29" square
© DJB, 1997

4 comments:

  1. Oh how it does look like spring - little bursts of color struggling to enter the world.
    So glad to hear you had the chance to get out and about a bit. Hope that you don't have such a long time before you do it again *s*

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a wonderfully fun quilt. Hope you have some spring sunshine now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh man, another one! What an expression of joy you have running through you right now. Its strong. I dig it!

    This quilt is just too darn cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love these blocks--such a happy quilt!

    ReplyDelete