Thursday, January 15, 2009

What Doesn't Kill You



A telephone call in the middle of the night is seldom good news. As our phone rang early last Thursday morning, I said a few quick prayers for the wellbeing of family and friends. It’s amazing how much bargaining with God one can do between ring tones.

My husband answered to hear, “… police calling… small furnace fire… parents taken to hospital… smoke inhalation… but they’re okay!”

During the night while my parents slept, their furnace caught fire, sending acrid black smoke throughout the house. What woke my mom was the carbon monoxide detector (GET ONE). Dad proved harder to awaken since he is hard of hearing. They managed to call 911 (on the portable phone we recently installed , so they’d always have one within reach). In spite of Mom’s physical disabilities and Dad’s disorientation because of the smoke, the firemen got them out of the house in record time.

We are blessed that they managed to escape with only smoke inhalation. Restoration of their home, their self confidence and their day to day routine will take time. For now, much of the coordination between insurance company and contractors is falling on us "kids." Let’s hope the adage is true, “What doesn’t kill you makes you stronger.”

8 comments:

  1. Wow, Diane. I'm so thankful to hear they're alright. Thank goodness for the CM Detector. What a life savor.

    That's an awful lot for the entire family to take in ~ emotionally I mean. I'm beaming my best vibes to you all.

    Covered in Prayer and Love, *karendianne.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, my goodness....I'm so glad your parents are okay. That is all that matters, as you well know. I hope the insurance company isn't difficult....as they can so often be. They are quite quick to take our money but not always as quick to pay out when there is a real need for it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad to hear they are okay. That picture speaks volumes. We have a CO detector as in the late 90's it helped to save my and my babies lives. Yes, everyone should get one, NOW! You never know it could save your life or someone you know. Thanks for the wake up call, Diane. My prayers to your parents.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The good news is everyone is okay . . . . stuff can be dealt with. You'll be in my thoughts *s*

    ReplyDelete
  5. One thinks that a smoke detector is all one needs...your story proves that's not the case. Glad everyone is ok. Hope that the recovery period, both physically and mentally go smoothly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The terrible cold was probably making that furnace work overtime. So happy that a bad situation had a good ending!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Diane! I"m so glad they are ok! That is really scarey.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Praise the Lord that all His coincidences worked in His timing to protect them. Hope the scare doesn't wound their spirits.

    ReplyDelete