Thursday, February 12, 2009

Strawberry Patch Doll Quilt


It started with a strawberry embroidered on a set of vintage napkins. For years, they'd lain hidden at the bottom of a buffet drawer in my parents' dining room. Was Mom "saving them for good," or had she forgotten about them over the years? 
When I asked about them, I secretly hoped they had a romantic backstory a she'd made them for her hope chest. Turns out, she had no idea where they'd come from, so with that, they were mine!

After admiring a series of doll quilts made by Vicki Haninger of Turkey Feathers, I knew just how to use those strawberries. Vicki included a single embroidered square in each quilt. That unexpected detail really knocked my socks off!


Used with permission of Vicki Haninger

Adding to the charm was Vicki's choice of fabric--pure, bright colors, prints with white backgrounds, assorted checks, polka dots, and whimsical vintage designs, none of which I had in my own fabric stash.

An Internet search led me to Sandy Klop, whose American Jane fabric designs ticked all the right boxes!


Each of Sandy's fabric collections has a retro 1940-50s vibe, and while I'm not usually slavish to a single designer, especially within one quilt, Vicki, herself, recommends working from a charm pack of 5" squares. That way, the fabrics all work together.

Can you spot the "vintage" fabric here? It's a Cranston Print Works calico from the 1970s.


From four vintage napkins I made four little quilt kits to share with friends (like Barb). It's fun to imagine those embroidered strawberries living a second life!


Strawberry Patch doll quilt

15" x 17"



11 comments:

  1. I like this idea and so sweet. Wig.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fantastic idea! You really have some wonderful results, I just love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh what a fabulous idea. At Christmas I was gifted with a box full of vintage linens that had belonged to my mom and grandma. After letting The Princess cull through them for items she wanted, my plan was to put the remaining pieces into the storage bin holding pieces I already had.
    I'm going to look through them again with a fresh eye toward turning them into something to be seen and used every day. You are an inspiration in so many ways!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE the strawberries!!

    What a lovely, very special way to keep them out of the drawer/closet/cupboard!

    For those who may not already know about it, Cindy Needham has a blog dedicated to rescue and revitalization of vintage linens:
    http://www.cindyneedham.com/blog/blog.html

    Her website is cindyneedham.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. how sweet and so special.
    I am sure these quilts and strawberries will be treasured by your friends.
    Love to see that your still working on projects and hey collecting the right fabrics is the fun part right?
    Kathie

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a really great idea. And, your quilts turned out beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG! I just used the same yellow & red calico flower Cranston print in a scrap quilt of my own (the one with the yellow background)!!! I have no idea where it even came from--someone must have given it to me. I adore your little quilts with the embroidery bit--a charming idea for certain. Your friends are lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the strawberry. What a wonderful touch.

    ReplyDelete
  9. As much as I love repro fabrics every once and awhile it is nice to work with something cheery and bright...love how these little quilts came out!

    ReplyDelete
  10. No see, here I actually was going to be the first person to comment but Blogger wouldn't let me write. It was a frustration and I couldn't ever write what I wanted to say. I know one thing I said - Brilliant. I remember how much I loved it. I know I thought how sweet and cheery this lovely piece was.

    ReplyDelete