Friday, May 18, 2012

Mother's Day


What was it that brought this big smile to my face on Mother’s Day?


It was William’s surprise visit and the pancakes and bacon he fixed for breakfast, a lovely long phone call from James and Rachel, and a new quilt to share with you today, but mostly, it was the gift I’ve been asking for for sooooo looooong… to be taken for a walk!


It may not sound like much, but for someone confined to home like me, a stroll through the neighborhood felt amazing. The weather was perfect, 70 degrees with no humidity. I took notice of everything: the cloudless blue sky, the warm sun on my face, a soft lilac scented breeze, how vibrant and green the grass looked after several days of rain, and the uncharacteristic quiet. There were plenty of family gatherings going on, but we seemed to be the only ones outdoors. It felt like our own little private party.

I wish we had taken pictures of the flowers we passed along the way: great big bushes of lilacs, red climbing roses, deep purple iris with golden beards and clumps of cheerful white daisies. Seeing them all was better than any bouquet I might have received.


We found a nice spot to photograph this basket quilt. It’s another project that my friend Sheila offered to complete for me. She graciously asked how I “intended” to finish it. Wasn’t she a sport to piece all those 1” half square triangles?

Sheila and Barb (Fun with Barb) made these 3 1/2” baskets for me several years ago when they did a block swap. Our quilts used the same blocks but very different layouts. Mine are set block to block, with alternate rows changing direction.             



Sheila patterned hers after a quilt she saw at the New England Quilt Museum in Lowell, Massachusetts. It’s striking with those red alternate blocks. Notice where the baskets change direction ~ right down the center of the quilt.



Barb’s quilt groups baskets according to color. I love her extra wide borders.



I hope your Mother’s Day was as special as mine. Never underestimate the joy that simple pleasures bring.

8 comments:

  1. What a great day for you.(Good). love the basket quilts. Wig.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your post brought tears to my eyes..Going outside on a beautiful day. My mother has Parkinson's. She feels like that too and when I am able to take her out, I see life thru her eyes and it is sweeter. Thank you for a lovely post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. glad you got to spend some time with your son and the sun too! beautiful quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like the perfect mother's day. The basket quilts are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely Mother's Day
    It was so fun to see the quilt that Sheila finished - it looks terrific.
    It was fun to see them all together too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your smile is as radiant as the day! What a lovely Mother's Day indeed. Glad you had the chance to soak up some sun and nature and love!

    The baskets are wonderful in all their settings. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. it's always fun to see how similar blocks can be put together in completely different ways.

    i'm glad to hear that your mother's day was a good one and that you were able to do a bit of sun worshiping.
    that breakfast didn't sound half bad either~!

    :-)
    libbyQ

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your basket quilt! Their tiny size makes it so cute!

    ReplyDelete