Sunday, December 31, 2017

Oh the Weather Outside is Frightful!



Hello, everyone! If you live outside the purple zone on the weather map, you may be unaware how bitterly cold it is here in the Midwest. Our single-digit temperatures and -25° to -40° wind chills are breath-taking cold! Bone-chilling cold! FROSTBITE COLD! Needless to say, we're hunkered down for the duration.


My husband keeps his "expeditions" to a minimum in weather like this, braving the elements only to trek down the sidewalk for mail or to clear the driveway of snow--not that we're going anywhere! Each time he opens the storm door, it whines in icy protest as if to ask, “Are you sure you want to venture out today?”


I'm snug and warm with a cozy new quilt made by my friend, Mary Conley. "The blocks might look familiar," she whispered as she placed it in my lap. Indeed they did; they were red and green nine-patches I'd abandoned almost twenty years earlier! 


I could hardly believe my eyes! Here were those very blocks looking fresh and new in a jaunty on-point setting. Mary's choice of homespun really compliments the nine-patches and ties everything together. 



There's homespun on the back too and swirly quilting for the final blustery touch.


So, here's where you'll find me this winter, wrapped in the comfort of Mary's quilt. In the meantime, Happy New Year and best wishes for 2018!



6 comments:

  1. And a Happy New Year to you, too. Mary turned your blocks into a wonderful lap quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for Mary I love to use someone elses left overs as well...being creative..ha...Glad to see you cuddled up in your recliner with a new and special quilt. may 2018 bring good surprises to us all. xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy New Year! Your quilt looks great with the homespun fabric. Nice and cozy ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a wonderful gift for these cold winter days and nights!

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a cozy quilt! and a great friend.
    Happy New year Diane.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great to see your smile in the pic. I enjoyed your blog but feel I got too much credit for my humble offering. Your description of the snow and cold does you proud... you are such a gifted writer! Hope also to see you soon. Hunker down and stay cozy! Mary

    ReplyDelete