Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Less Is More



One of my favorite radio programs, “The Story,” recently featured a fellow named Chris McNaught, who is determined to pare down his personal possessions to a mere 500. Can you imagine? 

Much like the popular organizing guru, Marie Kondo or renowned Victorian designer, William Morris, it’s about making intentional choices to live with less rather than mindlessly accumulating more. Comedian George Carlin also has a great take on "Stuff"

"Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful.”  William Morris

Mr. McNaught includes items like kitchenware, clothing, books, and music CDs in his tally, whereas food, toiletries, or other personal products that get used upare not counted. He’ll sometimes take photos of sentimental items for posterity, before selling or giving things away.

Could you live like that? I know I couldn't. I’m way too fond of my stuff! Nevertheless, an occasional exercise in restraint is a good reminder that less is often more than we actually need.

On one of my first Mother’s Days, I asked my husband to skip the gift. What I really wanted was some uninterrupted time to sew. This little quilt is what I started that day. It's made of Roberta Horton's "Mood Indigo" fabric, just a few sample squares that I had of the black plaids. It reminds me that it doesn’t take much money, fabric, or time to satisfy a creative urge--just the bare essentials.




Sawtooth Sampler
16” x 18”
machine pieced, hand quilted
Diane Burdin, 1990


3 comments:

  1. sweet quilt. I really miss those Roberta Horton fabrics. I truly enjoy watching all those de-cluttering shows too. Makes me feel better about myself cuz I might be slobby, but I'm a looong way from living like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I really love that quilt! Those are my colors and plaids! And the little iron it is sooo cute! It is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I was searching to see if anyone has used any of my flickr photos, and I noticed my name in one of the results - so I clicked on it. I feel almost famous because you mentioned me in your blog.

    Thanks for the publicity, and for listening to my story.

    chris

    ReplyDelete