Friday, January 4, 2008

Look Ma, No Hands!

Things are already looking up for 2008! For those of you following my recovery, here's an exciting update. Two days ago, my sons helped me stand and support myself with the walker. I tried taking a few steps, albeit baby ones, and ended up taking ten! Yesterday, the home therapist came to evaluate me and I was able to take 16 steps. As an encore, I did a 360 degree pivot, all without anyone hanging on to me. It was a triumph that gives me great hope for recovery!


As everyone else puts their Christmas decorations away for another year, I’m just beginning to enjoy ours. Many of these holiday treasures evoke sweet memories of crafting with our young boys. These special handmade gifts were stitched for aunts and uncles, grandmas and grandpas, some of whom are no longer with us. They’ve become irreplaceable family heirlooms.


We made this Christmas wall hanging when the boys were 7 and 10 years old-- just old enough to use a needle and thread. I satin stitched a simple Christmas tree to a background and let them embellish it with buttons. Their handwritten quilt label is just as precious as the tree itself.

6 comments:

  1. Yea - you're back. Email me when you can! I love the new (old friend) quilt on the header! :)
    I'm so glad you seem to be doing better, Diane - may it continue.
    Barb Vedder

    p.s. It so fun to see some of my NJ friends comment on your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. FANTASTIC!!! So glad to hear that you are making some wonderful strides in your recovery. The little Christmas quilt is just darling . . . little fingers can make the sweetest thing *s*

    ReplyDelete
  3. ZOMG how precious. You've given me a GREAT idea for my boyfriend's 8 year old daughter and I!

    And I'm SO glad you're up and about, sorta. I've been remembering you in my prayers and I will continue to until you can jog around the block... :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's really great news Diane! I'm sure you have such a great feeling of accomplishment. I'm sure each day will be better than the day before.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, hey, I knew you would do it. I'm sure with all of the prayers out there for you, it will all be uphill from here on.

    Love that label.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE that little quilt and the label is incredible. So happy that you have it in your possession - what a treasure. Woohoo, on the walking progress. You can do it!

    ReplyDelete