Thursday, August 14, 2008

Summer's Last Hurrah


In the heat of summer, quilting is the last thing on my mind, but that doesn't stop me from playing with fabric. These bright-colored hand-dyes. They remind me of Kool-Aid and popsicles on a hot summer day, sand toys, water balloons, and beach towels flapping in the breeze. I can almost smell the sunscreen! Can you?


Some of my favorite fabrics appear in this quilt, most notably, Milly Churbuck's hand-dyed cottons (no longer available). I used to collect the 4" squares sold in "swatch packs" as each new line of colors came out. They were perfect for making small blocks and quilts like this hourglass (1 1/2" finished).


The border and binding plaid is an early Kaffe Fassett fabric that came from a friend’s stash (Thank you, Helen!). Several of our quilt friends have chosen to “pass on” their fabric after they’ve passed on. Using it in our own quilts is our way of honoring them.

Summer’s Last Hurrah
17" x 22" 
Diane Burdin, 2003

13 comments:

  1. beautiful!
    I used to see those fabrics every year in Lancaster and I never bought her fabric, boy am I ever sorry .
    Here colors were always so pretty whether they were bright like these or muted....just beautiful.
    Love this little quilt, would make me smile every time I past it.
    Kathie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kool-Aid and drippy Popsicles - ever kids summer dream *s*

    ReplyDelete
  3. what glorious colours! The vivid blue sets them off beautifully - yes I can definitely see drippy ice blocks ( I love the adjective drippy btw) but also the sails of the small boats and windsurfers that dot Byron Bay in summer - the water is truly that blue! Makes me long for summer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh WWWOW I totally love this. How cute. How inspiring. How happy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. bright and happy - what a fun quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE it!!! The next thing I'm going to do after this comment is google Milly Churbuck's Country House Cottons. I just love bright clear colors...reminds me of Kool-Aid...and memories of visiting my great-grandmother's two sisters who lived across a field from each other through the woods from my great-grandmother. Dare and Aunt Eula were the Queens of Kool-Aid always fussing over how the other's was much better than what they made...and Maude my g-gm was Queen of sweet tea.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That sure is a day brightener!

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow, so tiny, so pretty...love the binding!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is gorgeous! I love the inner border and binding too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for the bit of summer...we haven't seen much of it this year!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, my! This is GORGEOUS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Diane, I wanted to pop over and see where you work your magic *VBS* and thank you for such a nice compliment on the Orphan Train blog.
    Your summers last hurrah quilt is just beautiful. It boggles my mind that the blocks finish at 1".
    Love the cowboy quilt also! It's a fabulous quilt! Hope to see more of you and your lovely quilts, Hugs, Finn

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your little quilt! I'm so amazed that those hourglasses finish at 1 inch and look so perfect.

    ReplyDelete