Monday, April 20, 2015

What Goes Around, Comes Around

Hello everyone! I've finally reached an age where all I want for my birthday is to not be reminded of it, unless of course, it’s with a birthday quilt from my friend, Barb Vedder. For that, I’ll admit to each and every one of my advancing years!


Imagine my surprise when I opened this year's package only to discover a block I’d given Barb a few years earlier. “Wait... What?” It took a moment for me to realize the block was now a stunningly finished quilt! 



The pattern is by Anita Shackelford from her book Applique with Folded Cutwork. Since I'd taken a workshop with her a few years earlier, I assumed I could handle the intricate appliqué, but boy, was I wrong! My hands clenched up like vice grips whenever I attempted to stitch. Our friend, Kathy Smith, was kind enough to complete the block in time for me to send it to Barb for her birthday.


Notice Barb's use of echo quilting, a traditional Hawaiian technique that outlines the appliqué with concentric rows of stitching. Machine quilting with silk thread also adds a subtle elegance to the overall design.























On the back is a tribute to Barb's former stomping ground, New York City.



Thank you for this tremendous surprise Barb! I imagine it was as hard for you to part with as it originally was for me. The best gifts always are! ❤️

4 comments:

  1. How thoughtful ~ I love it, Diane! Wishing you a belated happy birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful - happy birthday, you young thing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you liked it - your applique on the block is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great finish! Love how many stories are stitched into one piece....

    ReplyDelete