Thursday, July 8, 2010

Gilding the Lily, Part 2


Let me put these Carolina Lily blocks in a clearer context for you. Eighteen years ago, I belonged to a bee group that stitched and swapped complex quilt blocks with one another. When my turn rolled around, I chose the lily pattern and fabrics as previously described.

It was obvious that my dueling red and green fabrics wouldn‘t work. Any sensible person would have stopped right there and replaced one of those colors with a fabric that did work. Not me! I thought if I found an additional fabric that contained both colors, it would somehow bridge the gap and actually calm the block down. 

I carried those swatches with me everywhere, auditioning any fabric that contained a smattering of red and green.


At last, I found a paisley print that matched. "Wow" I thought. "I've hit the jackpot. I've struck gold!" Literally... it was a metallic print. Before I could think twice, I bought the fabric, cut the pieces for the urn and added them to my sample block.


You see where this is going, don’t you? The fabric looked perfect... from 6 inches away, but when it caught the light, the Carolina Lily turned into a gaudy, glitzy, Christmasy fiasco. I had, quite literally, “gilded the lily!” 



1 comment:

  1. I love it!!!
    Thank you for making me laugh... not at you but with you!
    I also tried that block (years ago) and still only have one block done but want to make it a quilt some day.
    Can'r wait to see your solution!

    ReplyDelete