Saturday, July 10, 2010

Gilding the Lily, Part 3


To make a long story short, I nixed the urn idea and added stems and leaves to the lily pattern. Choosing a less intense red fabric helped reduce the "pulsing" colors. After the ladies in my quilt group made 12 blocks for me, I took a little break.


In fact, I didn’t think of this project again for 5 or 6 years! As I gathered materials for a Gwen Marston Beaver Island Quilt Retreat in 1998, they came to mind. Gwen's retreat topic that year was Four Block Quilts and I figured having an extra set of blocks to play around with might come in handy.

I stitched four lily blocks together and came up with this. The green center portion didn’t appeal to me much, but the new block had potential for creating some interesting secondary patterns.


Had I continued, the resultant quilt might have looked like this. Interesting, yes, but way too busy for my tastes. Besides, it would have required 4 additional blocks, which I just wasn’t up to making.


I guess I hadn't learned my lesson. Once again, I'd taken a simple block and schlocked it up. After picking out the seams, the project got shelved again, until… 12 years later, when our son and his University of North Carolina sweetheart announced their engagement. Could there be a more perfect wedding quilt for this couple than a Carolina Lily?

3 comments:

  1. As the aforementioned sweetheart, I must say, I am on tether hooks waiting for the next entry :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I love that setting. Too bad you didn't like it and it required too much work! Looking forward to seeing what Part 4 tells!

    ReplyDelete
  3. how in the world did i evere miss this part~!?!~

    what is amazing and sometimes confounding)is the amount of choices one has when putting quilt blocks together~!~

    :-)
    libbyQ

    ReplyDelete